Antifreeze is toxic to cats!
This winter is predicted to be one of bitter cold and numbing wetness. Awareness about the risks of anti freeze poisoning in cats is mandatory for cat lovers.
Then an IV catheter is placed to give the cat ethanol. You can also give a specific antidote 4- methylpyrazole. Kidney function and urine output are monitored closely for a few days.
- Keep your cat indoors if temperatures drop significantly.
- You should Keep the ethylene glycol containing products out of your home or locked away .
- Check your car for leaking water coolant and fix any leaks as soon as possible.
- Store your antifreeze responsibly. Make sure it is clearly labeled and is in a steps container.
- Dispose off antifreeze and coolants responsibly.
- Clean up spillages of antifreeze even if you don’t own any pets. Pets are drawn to licking and drinking these fluids as they smell tempting and taste sweet.
- Educate neighbors of the dangers and inform them if you notice coolants leaking from your vehicle.